Monday 1 August 2016

Mixing planar and non-planar faces in Mesh Studio

Something for the Mesh Studio afficionados today.

Mesh Studio has a "feature" insofar as it does not detect the mapping mode of a prim face. This results in an incorrect Mesh import later. First, a quick illustration of the issue and then how to fix it.

It is time to do a little more work on a slow burn project to gradually rebuild parts of my ancient underwater home. I've only got half an hour to spare so I want to Mesh the steps in the moonpool, so that I can safely apply some materials without it blowing up.


I quickly copy the existing object, tossed in the joined mesh script, eliminate a couple of the unnecessary surfaces and hit "Mesh".


A few moments later and I have it imported, apart from being a few Lindens poorer, we are good to go,aren't we? I drag the texture onto the Mesh and....ugh! That was a waste a Lindens, the texture UV mapping is wrong.

 A quick check of the source model and the reason is clear. While MS quite correctly noted that the texture UUID and the tint are the same on all the faces, it failed to note that top faces were planar mapped, while the inside cylinder faces were default mapped.


Happily, this is easily fixed. All we need to do is convince MS that this is a different face to the other one. We can do that by changing the tint value. A quick lick of paint and we find that MS now correctly sees this as having two mesh faces. and we are ready to splash another few lindens on an upload.


Rezzing the newly uploaded mesh we gleefully drop out texture on it and for a moment our hearts skip a beat. It still looks the same. Then we remember, it's called "default" mapping for a reason and sure enough highlighting the face and setting the mapping mode to planar snaps it back into shape.


And so there we have it. When mixing planar and non-planar with the same texture just make sure that they have a different tint.

If you have a larger build that will be painful to convert manually I have written a script that runs through the material list, identifies clashes and auto-magically changes the tint. Ping me an IM inworld and I'll send you a copy until I get around to putting it up to download somewhere.

I'm heading out for a couple of weeks so take care and more blogs when I return.
For now, I'll close with a quick recap of the steps with some materials applied to give the tiles that glazed shine.A bit overdone but mission accomplished for the Mesh at least.

Love

Beq
x




No comments:

Post a Comment